TTS20 on Safari

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving in South Africa

Today TTS 20 explored a holiday away from home.  We recognized the importance of traditions and loved ones and realized how lucky we all are to be here.  Over the past three months we created a family away from home – a new style of family who is diverse, random and ready for anything and everything.  We laugh together and learn together.  Today our laughter filled the hostel as we mixed old family recipes with new creations based on ideas which simply sounded delicious.

Tonight's menu consisted of:

Appetizers:
Deviled eggs
Guacamole and chips

Main Course:
Rotisserie Chicken and rolls(the only non homemade additions)
Mashed Potatoes with sauteed onions
Macaroni and Cheese
Stuffing
Cranberry/blackberry sauce
Salad and dressing

Dessert:
Peach crumble
Apple crumble
Hand whipped cream
Ice Cream (ok, we bought this too)

And of course some sparkling appletizers to cheers with!

Today we couldn't be more proud of your daughters.  They created the menu themselves, budgeted for all ingredients (quantities and costs), organized cooking shifts, and made some of the most delicious dishes ever!  And through it all they also cleaned up every last little bit.  These ladies made this Thanksgiving truly memorable with their excitement and zest.

Throughout the day, each of us took some time to think about a few things we are thankful for – see if you can guess who is thankful for what:

I AM THANKFUL FOR...
... love, the love I receive and the love I am blessed to experience and the love I am able to share with the world.

...the opportunity to be in Africa and for the support my family has given me throughout the years.

...the wonderful opportunity to be here and the long lasting and true relationships I have with my friends and my home.

...the innumerable times I have felt my heart brim over with joy and wonder in the last three months.

...the support of my family and friends.

...the 20 in TS and the adventure I wish would never end.

...God's presence in all experiences here and for his comfort while being away from home.

...all my family!  Whoever is reading this, you came into my life only three months ago, and I have come to  appreciate each of you so much!

...all the people here and at home who have helped me get to where I am today.

...curiosity, smiles and authentic relationships.  I am thankful for every one of you for adding spice to my life and energy to my soul.

...all my family.  The one at TTS and the one back home.

...a loving family and supportive community- without them I would not be the person I am today!

...the family I am a part of and the love and affection I live in daily from friends and family.

...the people in my life who make me smile on a daily basis.  I feel so lucky to have traveled this journey with 13 intelligent and beautiful women who inspire me everyday.


We hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration wherever and however you choose!  Thank you for sharing your daughter with this group, we can't imagine our big, hectic TTS 20 family any other way.  

No comments: